* The dog walker or pet sitter should be insured for liability, including care, custody, and control of the pet.
* The dog walker or pet sitter should provide contact information for references upon request. Do be sure to contact the references.
* Check with vets, groomers, pet stores, and other area pet businesses to learn more about the reputation of your chosen dog walker or pet sitting business.
* Be sure that the dog walker or pet sitter provides a copy of the legal terms of your contract, including cancellation policy and other terms.
* Be sure that you fully understand the pricing of your service. Ask what services are included with the rate quoted.
Other factors to consider
* What kind of pet education and/or certification does the dog walker or pet sitter have?
* Does the dog walker or pet sitter know pet first aid?
* Did the dog walker or pet sitter ask many questions during the consultation, and did he write down all of the answers carefully?
* Is the dog walker or pet sitter a member of professional organizations, such as pet sitting associations, humane organizations, or other pet care groups?
* Does the dog walker or pet sitter have a backup plan in case of a personal emergency?
* Is the dog walker or pet sitter a full time sitter, or do they have limited availability due to another job or school?
* Does the dog walker or pet sitter have the proper licensing for their area (in some areas a business license or kennel license for boarding may or may not be required).
* Does the dog walker or pet sitter talk positively about other sitters in the area, and seem informed about the industry and other pet care providers?
Final questions to discuss with the sitter
* Will you have the same dog walker or pet sitter serving your home the entire time you are away?
* Will the dog walker or pet sitter be allowed to bring anyone with them to the sits?
* Does the dog walker or pet sitter ever bring children to visits?
* How often will the dog walker or pet sitter leave a note for you logging how the trip is going?
* Will the dog walker or pet sitter's available time periods fit your pet needs?
* How will your key be stored or returned?
* Has the dog walker or pet sitter cared for your type of pet in the past?
* Does the dog walker or pet sitter accept multiple payment methods (cash, check, money order, etc)
We wish you all the best in your search for a reliable, affordable dog walker or pet sitter!
Wolfgang and Coree