Thursday, April 28, 2011

Pet Poisons in Your Home

Pet Poisons in Your Home

food poisonous to pets
There may be common foods and substances in your home that could poison your pet- ones you didn't even know were dangerous! Read on for a full list of common household products that are poisonous, and possibly even fatal to pets.Use this list to help recognize potentially dangerous foods and substances in your home.

When pet proofing your home, be sure to get down to your pet's level to see their point of view. While everything may look safe from your perspective, your pet may be able to get into areas you can't see.

Also, keep your pet confined to a crate or small safe area when you aren't home. Most pet poisonings occurs when people are not in the house.

Dangerous Foods
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Artificial sweetener (xylitol)
  • Avocado
  • Bones
  • Chocolate
  • Coffee
  • Fatty foods
  • Garlic
  • Grapes
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Nuts still in shell
  • Onions and onion powder
  • Raisins
  • Salt
  • Spoiled foods
  • Yeast dough
Unsafe Outdoor Substances
  • Animal toxins (venomous toads, insects, spiders, snakes and scorpions)
  • Antifreeze
  • Blue-green pond algae
  • Citronella candles
  • Cocoa mulch
  • Compost piles
  • Fertilizers
  • Fly baits containing methomyl
  • Ice melting products
  • Outdoor plants and plant bulbs
  • Swimming-pool treatment supplies
  • Slug and snail baits containing metaldehyde
Dangerous Medications
  • Anti-cancer drugs
  • Antidepressants
  • Cold medicines
  • Diet Pills
  • Pain killers
  • Vitamins
Household Hazards
  • Batteries
  • Electrical cords
  • Fabric softener sheets
  • Flea products
  • Lilies
  • Liquid potpourri
  • Mothballs
  • Pennies (Especially Post-1982 because of a high concentration of zinc)
  • Pine oil cleaners
  • Polyurethane Glue
  • Poisoned pests
  • Rubber bands
  • Rat and mouse bait
  • String
  • Yarn
Holiday Hazards
  • Christmas tree water
  • Glass ornaments
  • Ribbons or tinsel
Substances that are not poisonous, but may cause gastrointestinal upset:
  • Cat litter
  • Glue traps
  • Glow jewelry
  • Poinsettia
  • Silica gel
  • Toilet bowl water
  • Water-based paints
What to Do if Your Pet is Poisoned
If you suspect your pet has been poisoned, call your vet immediately. Determine what substance was ingested and read the product's label for a list of ingredients and any instructions in case of accidental ingestion. If your pet is vomiting or has diarrhea, you should bring a sample of the product to help your vet determine the correct treatment.
You should also keep a fully stocked pet first-aid kit in your home as well as an emergency handbook. Be sure you are up to date on your pet's age, weight and allergies.

If you need help, you can also call the National Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435. There may be fees for this service.


To Visit My Website, Go To:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.